As we say goodbye to summer and prepare ourselves for the chillier months ahead, we recall how refreshing the change of season can be. Autumn arrives each year like an old friend, making us feel a hint of nostalgia with its inviting and warm presence. It’s no secret, one of our favorite parts about the fall season is the deliciously hearty food that keeps us warm as a chill fills the air.
Our favorite fall meals are the ones that leave our bellies full and warm as we cuddle up by the fire, feeling satisfied. If you’re looking for a decadent meal that makes a perfect plate to serve under a chilly October sky; Or, the perfect plate to get everybody back together for a socially distant dinner party, Beef Wellington has the potential to meet all of your needs.
Beef Wellington is composed of a delicious, tender, cooked-to-perfection steak, covered in mushroom duxelles and wrapped in flaky puff pastry baked to golden goodness. Although this classic dish is known for its affiliation with fine dining, it’s easier to prepare at home than you’d think! Added bonus? It’s prep-friendly for those nights you need to get dinner on the table ASAP.
The key to cooking a drool-worthy-wellington is timing. Careful not to over-sear the steaks, just a minute or so on either side will do. Be sure to keep the puff pastry just cool enough to let it wrap with ease, if it’s too warm it’ll become sticky and hard to work with. Simple tips that will get a drool-worthy meal on the table to enjoy as the sun dips below the horizon. If you’re looking to prep ahead, you can sear the steaks, let them chill, wrap them in puff pastry like a warm autumn blanket and let them sit in the refrigerator until you’re ready to bake. Pop them in the oven when you’re ready and voila!
If you’re looking to prep ahead, you can sear the steaks, let them chill, wrap them in puff pastry like a warm autumn blanket and let them sit in the refrigerator until you’re ready to bake.
The Filet Mignon Wellington Kit by Prime and Tellers is your quick fix this October to have a bountiful meal on the table in about an hour. This kit comes prepped and ready with 4 6-oz Filet Mignons, 4 individual pre-cut sheets of puff pastry, mushroom duxelles, and egg wash. Sear, wrap, heat, and eat! Bordelaise and Brie Fondue come ready to heat and drizzle on your Wellington, making it a true restaurant experience at your own dinner table. Two hearty sides of par-cooked Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Fingerling Potatoes only require heating and then they are ready for the table! This kit also arrives fully-loaded with four individual Carrot Cakes with White Chocolate Curls for dessert – yum!
This delicious kit helps you deliver chef-approved quality to the table in an hour. Perfect for those nights when the soccer game runs late, you get stuck in traffic, or you’ve spent the extra twenty minutes enjoying a glass of wine with your company. Just stay on track with the easy to follow included instructions and you’ll gain some major chef-cred this October!
Shop This Recipe
The Filet Mignon Wellington Kit by Prime & Tellers
- Stovetop & Oven
- 1-3 Sheet Pan(s)
- 1-3 Stovetop Skillet(s)
- Pastry Brush (or spoon)
- Probe Thermometer
- 4x 6 oz USDA Prime Filet Mignon
- 4x Individual Pre-Cut Puff Pastry Sheets
- 8 oz Homemade Brie Fondue
- 8 oz Homemade Mushroom Duxelles
- 8 oz Homemade Bordelaise Sauce
- 8 oz Egg Wash
- 1 lb Par-Cooked Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Applewood Smoked Bacon
- 2 lbs Par-Cooked Roasted Rosemary Fingerling Potatoes with Caramelized Shallots
- 4x Personal Carrot Cakes with White Chocolate Curls
You Will Also Need
- Salt & Pepper
- Cooking Oil
Before We Begin...
- You can prep your Wellingtons ahead of time. Simply sear your beef, wrap with puff pastry, and refrigerate until you’re ready to bake.
- Both side dishes come fully prepared: pre-seasoned and par-cooked so all you need to do is reheat just before you’re ready to serve.
Prepping Your Wellingtons
- Remove filet mignons from vacuum packaging. Keep at room temp and sprinkle a generous pinch of salt & pepper on both sides of each filet.
- Using a hot skillet and oil, pan sear each filet side for about 1 minute until nicely caramelized. Set aside on a plate to rest and chill.
- Lay out the puff pastry sheets on your work surface. Place roughly 1 tbsp. of mushroom duxelle down on each sheet of puff pastry. Place the seared filet on top and then place an additional 1 tbsp. of mushroom duxelle on the top. Gently pull each corner of the puff pastry sheet over the top of the filet making sure to cover as much as possible while being extra careful not to rip the dough. Once the entire filet is wrapped, flip over. This will be the plate side of your Wellington. Place on a plate and cover with plastic wrap until ready to cook. This can be done a few hours ahead of cooking/serving if needed, just refrigerate covered until you’re ready!
Baking Your Wellingtons
- Pre-heated oven to 375˚F.
- Remove from the refrigerator and place on a (buttered) sheet pan. Brush each Wellington with an even coating of the included egg wash. Don’t have a pastry brush? Use the back side of a spoon!
- Place in a pre-heated oven and bake for about 15 minutes or an internal temperature of 125˚F. This will give you a nice medium rare steak. Using a probe thermometer, you can bake it further until you reach the desired temperature. Puff pastry will turn a golden brown.
Finishing Your Sides
- Both side dishes come pre-seasoned and par-cooked so all you need to do now is reheat! In separate sauté pans, bring each side up to temp over medium heat, until they are warm throughout. Alternatively, you can place each of these sides on their own sheet pan and reheat in the oven: the choice is yours. Add additional butter if desired and taste test for seasoning. Serve!
Plating Your Wellingtons
- Gently heat the bordelaise sauce and brie fondue. Be careful heating the brie fondue as it can burn and separate easily. Just bring up slowly in a sauce pot or microwave on low until hot.
- Pour a generous amount of brie fondue in the center of the plate, but to one side. On the other side, also in the center, pour a generous amount of bordelaise. This will create a circle of sauce. Place Wellington on top. Serve!
On to Dessert
- Keep the carrot cakes in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve. Place each carrot cake on a dessert plate and sprinkle a generous amount of white chocolate curls on top of each. Serve!